Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas


Before Christmas I thought to myself, this Christmas seems kinda dull. The usual anticipation and excitement over Christmas activities are non-existent as carolling and after event parties don't seem to be a line-up this year.

I was in church early this morning. Sitting alone on the pew, my mind suddenly just wandered back on the year’s event. Looking back, I remembered the few times where I felt lost, discouraged, suffocated and just helpless in some situation. Sometimes, it felt like my cries for His voice to be heard by me is ignored. And there were times where I knew that He was calling for me to completely surrender everything unto Him, but I would just turn on a deaf ear and choose to go on with my own stubborn ways. Only when things got too hard for me to handle I would fully allow Him to take control.

But He has been gracious to someone so undeserving as I am. Never once did he fail to pull me through every circumstance. Sure, I did have my own share of heartaches and despondent moments; but every situation is a reminder that I’m never alone.

I realised that more than anything, God seeks my heart and my full attention to Him- not just on Christmas or on Sundays- but at every waking moment. I remembered last week’s sermon that like Moses, our own burning bush- a traumatic experience, jolt of bad news, sickness- is for us to recognize that God wants to speak to us.

Too many times we’re so wrapped up in our own world that we forgot to include Him in our lives. We tend to take God for granted, treating Him as an emergency unit in the sky whom we call to only in times of need. Whereas in happy moments, how often do we take time to properly thank Him for all that He has given; to just talk to Him as a friend because He longs not just for our obedience but for our company too.

It was just a short 15-20 minutes of ‘alone’ time reflecting and talking to Him but it was the best moment I could ever have. Seeing friends getting baptised today and hearing testimonies of how God being a part of their lives have changed and made them grow stronger in their walk with Him, I felt so blessed that I am His child.

God truly does work in ways which we can never expect. Just worshipping and celebrating Christmas with friends and family in simple ways somehow felt so special. This Christmas turns out to be a really meaningful one after all.

Btw, in case you’ve missed the obvious, it’s Jesus’ birthday today. He only wants one gift from us- our heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment